Connections conference is a CMU conference that was offered at Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City, MI.
As a LAS cohort we all went, but also other organizations from CMU as well. The conference’s theme was to branch out and we were able to do so by interacting with other CMU organizations at the conference.
The goal was to have an opportunity to exchange ideas with other organizations and make new networks through those discussions.
Also, with different influential conference speakers it gave an opportunity to strengthen and practice our leadership skills.
We got to choose what speakers we wanted to go to and I choose:
- What Legacy Will You Leave?
- Don’t Get Caught in the Mouse Trap of Communication
- Rooted Growth: Mentoring Peers in Your Community
- Leaders in Action: Implementing Emotional Intelligence Strategies
7 Things I have learned to be true, during the conference…
- You can never stop learning. Leadership is a passion of mine and I will always be fired up to learn or grow in my leadership skills. I believe everyone should want to grow and never define success with a ending point.
2. Support goes a long way. LAS makes a family. The support allows you to grow and take chances knowing people have your back.
3. Connections are important. Branching out and learning about other people is so impacting. By building positive relationships and connections it will help you further your network and diversify yourself. nd to
4. Teamwork makes the dream work. You do not have to be alone. By working with someone else you can learn and grow in perspective and bring back more skills than what you had.
5. A leader is not flawless. As a leader you will make mistakes nobody is perfect, but a true leader will acknowledged them and keep moving forward. In the picture below we forgot our room key and got locked out, it is not a perfect example of making mistakes, but it does add humor to know that nobody is perfect and sometimes you just have to wait it out.
6.Work hard, sleep hard. The weekend was exhausting. You know you it was a good conference when you are so tired you pass up being at the water slide.
7. Love makes the world go round. Going with my cohort to the conference allowed me to make better connections with the people in LAS. We all grow to love each other and we will forever be there for each other.
NOW: I am going to use my connections I made to learn more about different organizations and to work with different leaders on campus. I am going to implement different skills other leaders talked about at the conference to benefit my organizations. I now have connections with many diverse leaders and I know if I ever need help or have questions I can lean to them to use their knowledge I may not of have.